In this week’s selection of films and shows on Amazon Prime, follow the stories of the investigators and journalists who covered the deadly campaign of terror of the Zodiac Killer in 1970s San Francisco. A prequel series follows the early career of Prime Suspect‘s Jane Tennison. Finally, a new sci-fi anthology series tells 10 different stories all based on the works of Philip K. Dick.
- Zodiac – This film dramatizes the spree of the Zodiac serial killer, who terrorized the San Francisco Bay Area in the 1970s, as well as the investigators who search for him. When The San Francisco Chronicle is sent a coded letter from the killer, cartoonist Robert Graysmith becomes obsessed with his own investigation into the killings.
- Prime Suspect: Tennison – Season 1 – Set in the 1970s, this prequel series to the original Prime Suspect follows the early career of Jane Tennison as she works as a probationary officer in London. Jane works to prove herself in a system characterized by chauvinism and a flexible rule set.
- Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams – Season 1 – Like shows such as The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits before it, this sci-fi anthology series features 10 standalone episodes that each tell distinct stories. Each episode is based on the works of celebrated author Philip K. Dick.
This week’s new additions to Amazon’s Prime Video lineup starts with the first season of My Mother & Other Strangers, which explores the culture clash that takes place in a Northern Irish town when an American bomber base is established there during World War II. The Midwife centers around the odd friendship between a tightly-wound midwife and her late father’s free-spirited mistress. Finally, Just Add Magic returns for the second half of its second season, in which Kelly, Hannah, and Darbie race to preserve everyone’s memories of magic before they’re lost forever.
- My Mother & Other Strangers – Set in Northern Ireland in 1943, this series explores a culture clash that erupts when a U.S. bomber base is established in the region around the fictional village of Moyberg. The boisterous Americans bring a host disruptions to the quite lives of the Ulster farming community, who are themselves divided by the foreign presence. Arrives January 16.
- The Midwife – After the death of Claire’s father, Claire, a midwife, meets his estranged mistress, . Béatrice. The film focuses on the unlikely friendship, contrasting Claire’s more uptight nature with Béatrice’s free spirit. Arrives January 17.
- Just Add Magic – Season 2, Part 2 – Baking witches Kelly, Hannah, and Darbie become embroiled in a whodonit mystery after their magic cookbook is stolen and the magical spice cabinet is destroyed. The three must discover the identities of the past protectors before everyone loses their memories of magic forever. Arrives January 19.
If you’re not an Amazon Prime member, you can try the service free for 30 days right here. Bookmark this page and check back next week for more from Amazon!